Location: 4120 Forest Park Avenue, St. Louis, 63108
About Us: The Society of the Sacred Heart is a congregation of Catholic women religious. Founded in France in 1800, Religious of the Sacred Heart now serve in 41 countries around the world. Based in St. Louis, the United States-Canada province has 320 members in approximately 20 areas around the two countries. The communications department is responsible for all external communications, including a twice-yearly mission publication, the website (www.rscj.org), social networking, public relations, special communications projects and support of specific ministries such as the vocations ministry.
Our Objective: Provide an educational and rewarding experience for a mature college student who in turn provides productive assistance on communications activities.
Job Description: The communications department is looking for an enthusiastic student who is eager to learn by doing various aspects of public relations and communications, including media relations, social networking, publication design, video production and photo editing. This internship will allow you to broaden your knowledge, gain hands-on expertise and develop a portfolio in a nonprofit environment. Hours can be flexible, but should average 10-15 hours/week; option to work some hours outside our office. This position has the potential to extend beyond the school year, if desired.
- Writing: This internship is heaven-sent for storytellers. You will develop your interviewing and writing skills by preparing profiles of our members. Your stories will also take the shape of marketing materials, press releases, webpages, Facebook posts and email marketing. You will learn how to craft your story to fit the audience, the medium and the objective.
- Planning: You will have the opportunity to contribute to the development of a nonprofit communications plan.
- Research: We’re eager to learn from you, too. You will have an opportunity to research media, messaging and marketing techniques for particular goals, e.g. enhance internal communications for this widespread group.
- Video production:One of the areas in need of research. You will be part of the process of developing a plan for the use of videos on our website, for both internal and external audiences.
- Special projects: While our staff is here to supervise and guide, our goal is to create opportunities for you to assume responsibility for a project from start to finish.
- General Support: Other duties as needed.
- Maturity, attention to detail and self-direction are required
- Education: Flexible: at least a second-year college student preferred. Level of education is not as relevant as maturity and motivation level
- Excellent writing skills are required.
- Excellent organizational and follow-through skills.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Experience in Microsoft Office required
- Experience in Photoshop, InDesign and Lightroom preferred
- Videography and video editing preferred
- Social media experience very helpful
Director of Communications & Public Relations
Society of the Sacred Heart
4120 Forest Park Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63108