Celebrating Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne, a pioneer missionary of the Society of the Sacred Heart, who came to St. Charles, Missouri, from France and founded the first free school west of the Mississippi in September 1818.

Home / Bicentennial / Shrine of St. Philippine is Renovated

Shrine of St. Philippine is Renovated

At the Shrine of St. Philippine Duchesne in St. Charles, Mo., the two walls adjacent to the west door of the Shrine have now been mounted with educational information (both visual and audio) that serves as a self-conducted tour opportunity. The south half of this display “travels” with the reader from France to New Orleans, to St. Louis, St. Charles, Florissant and Kansas, returning to this house for the last 10 years and death of Mother Duchesne. The north wall tells of her several burial places (culminating in the Shrine), names prelates in the Church who honored her and declares the impact that her missionary endeavor had on the Archdiocese of St. Louis.

A celebration of this new display was held Oct. 4, 2015 at the Shrine, located on the Academy of the Sacred Heart campus. More information about the Shrine at DuchesneShrine.org.